Thursday, December 7, 2006

Smoking Guns!

One thing that surprised me when I first came here to US is the number of women who smoke. I guess you can call it a culture shock. As long as I have been in India I haven't seen a single woman smoke. I am hearing that things are changing now for the bad.

Before I type further let me make one thing clear -
Smoking is bad irrespective of the gender. I am totally for all out abolition of smoking.

Now coming to the point, one thing that really appalled me is the fact that some women smoke even after they get pregnant. They just carry on with their life as if nothing has changed and they refuse to change themselves.

Those women really bug me. Don’t they know that they are harming the innocent child inside them? These are woman without any remorse or guilt.

If I had the power I wouldn't mind passing a regulation to punish those pregnant woman who smoke.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would say that they have not grown up or are quite selfish.
I have heard that terrible risks have been identified such as birth defects in fetus if the mom smokes.
One of my friends had a husband who would smoke inside the house with two kids. Both the kids have asthma problems but that did not stop him from smoking.

PR said...

Same goes with drinking too.

Also, seeing moms/dads smoke in front of their new borns or toddlers.. makes me wonder if they really care for their kids..

Anonymous said...

getting drunk is bad
smoking is terrible

If i had the power, I would close the tobacco companies irrespective of loss of revenue.

Ram said...

Smoking in front ofnew borns or toddlers.. How did i miss that? That's bad too.


Like Balaji has said, I would also like to see the tobacco companies closed for good.

Anonymous said...

Visit Europe and you will change your opinion about the US. Far more women smoke than in the US that it is unbelivable. In some East European countries the shops do not even check for age of the person with their ID before selling cigarettes. So children can also go and buy in the stores.

In US it is mostly choice of the individual but elsewhere it is a culture even now.