Thursday, December 28, 2006

Research before you move in !

When I lived in an apartment 3 years back, there used to be this landlord who was excessively obsessed with his apartments. He was a nice guy except for his obsession. He maintains the apartment very well, takes care of all repairs in a timely manner etc…

Just like any other Indian we cook really spicy aromatic food and it used to bother him so much. So once in a while he would knock the door to tell us to keep the windows open when we cook (Even in winter!). That used to bug all the Indians living in the apartment because he does the same thing to all the Indians. Looking back if I had enough money I would have sued him. In fact I looked for any NRI organization which could help me. But I really did not find anything. So just like others we just ignored it and eventually moved out after we bought a house.

That I think was the only incidence of ‘racism/profiling’ that I have experienced in 7 years I have been here in the US. I hope it is the last.

So for people moving into apartments, I would suggest that you check the reviews from some reputed websites before moving in. I would also avoid apartments owned by a single landlord. Also talk to fellow Indians if you can.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if your incidents with the landlord was an incident of racism/profiling, cos I've experienced it in India too... with Indian landlords!

One of my earlier landlords was so obsessed with his house, that he used to drop in un-announced and when we'd open the door, he'd march inside, straight past us, and look all around the home to see if we'd hammered nails on the walls, or if we were keeping the place neat and tidy. And then he'd snoop all around the garden suspiciously, looking for God-knows-what. We almost felt like we were terrorists or the worst slobs in the world.

T'was totally irritating but we realized that he was just an obsessed man, and told him firmly that he should learn to trust us and that we knew how to keep places tidy. The incidents decreased a bit after that, and he learnt to relax after a year or so.

But of course, a bit of research is always a good idea, so that you can avoid problems like these.

Ram said...

I guess there is a fine line between judging somebody as a racist or otherwise.
Reading your story i guess my conclusion was wrong.
You should see the movie 'Crash' if you haven't seen it. Very beautifully describes Racism in US.

Thanks for your input.