Sunday, December 24, 2006

Polite

Some people have this habit of calling a spade a spade. Even though this is required in some circumstances, this could also be an annoying habit if used wrongly. I have seen some people blurting out what they feel not caring about what others feel. Some are really proud to talk that way.

One thing I have noticed after coming here to US is that most people generally tend to be nice to each other. Or at least they 'try' to be nice to each other. They may have other feelings inside them , but when they talk face to face they are usually very careful to make sure that they don’t hurt others feelings. This is true both professionally and also outside work. Some people may not like this ‘fake’ attitude. But in the hindsight, it does not leave bad taste/memories in you/them after you talk with them.

On the other hand if you talk bluntly, you could potentially hurt others feelings and leave bad memories that would potentially linger in their minds for a long time.

Do you agree or disagree with 'faking' politeness?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The question of how "direct" someone can be with others depends on the closeness of the individuals. I have learned through experience that it is always better to be polite to people you are meet casually or don't know too well. I think liberties should only be taken with people we know well and so can be sure our comments will not be misinterpreted.

A "spade can be called a spade", but can be done so politely!

On the other hand, I do believe that repeat offenders should once in a while get a "dose of their own medicine" so that they realize nobody should be used as a "punching bag".

Sorry, I may be a very imperfect human being, but I don't believe in "turing the other cheek" all the time - once, twice, even thrice, maybe. But not all the time! In my opinion that kind of an attitude is only perceived as weakness, inviting more bad behavior..

Anonymous said...

be polite to every one, but less to your friend.

Anonymous said...

I think some people are between fake nice and absolutely + painstakingly nice. Personally I get disappointed when I'm sensitive to someone's feeling and they don't for me. I try to come up with reasons as to why they are that way. It is very hard to think of someone's feeling when they do not care for you.