Tuesday, December 26, 2006

It's a 2 way street!

Today a cop car was driving behind me in the morning when I left for work. I guess he was just doing one of his routine routes. Just seeing the cop car behind made me very alert. In fact I was too cautious. I made sure that I came to a complete stop in all the stop signs and I was maintaining proper distance between vehicles, driving at a proper speed etc… I am sure he would have been frustrated when I was cruising at 20 mph on a 25 mph road. But I just wanted to be safe than sorry.

On the hindsight you just feel safe when you see people respecting cops. In fact cops are not paid very well when compared to other jobs just like how it is in India. But they still do their duty conscientiously and do not accept bribes like they do in India. I know I should not generalize and there are good cops even in India. But on a cursory inspection the feeling you get is that cops are corrupt in India. I think it’s true in most cases.

The important point to be noted is that the cops respect their jobs and we respect them. It’s a 2 way street.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are right. I think that respect comes from one's act. Anyone that is sincere in their work will automatically be respected, be it India or the US.

R Kamal said...

In India Government employees are the most lazy,irresponsible,
dishonest people.i think they are more worse than politicians.

its their nature of PERMANENT JOB make them sick people.

p.s:Thanks for the link,im linking your aswell,i enjoy reading your blog.

Anonymous said...

kamal anjelo: I disagree. Without the Government employees, we would not have gotten here. I would blame the movies for showing the Govt. servants such as the police as the bad doers. Remind you, without them we will never have the security that we enjoy in India. Our country is far better than many places in the globe.

PR said...

Well it is definitely better than many other countries.. It is hard to manage such a huge democracy but compared to US, corruption and bribery is definitely more in India.

But I feel the reason cops in the US are being very courteous is also the fact that every move of them is being recorded. I believe they do not have the power to turn their camera or their microphone on or off.. I am sure it helps their safety too but it tracks their every move. So do they have a choice to accept bribes?!

Ram said...

Balaji -
I accept that movies exaggerate it a little bit which tends to skew up our thoughts. But there is some amount of truth in what they show.
But like i have said in my post it is not right to generalize it.There are some good hardworking people too.

R Kamal said...

balaji...i disagree with you,for my child's birth certificate,i had to wait for 6 months,and when it came there was a clerical error,to correct that i had to walk for 2 years to the concerned office.

it was their fault,after all.but they expected money to corrected their mistake.but i was not willing to bribe,so they had made me wait for 2 years.

reporting to high officials wont help...bribery is the cancer of indian government & politics.

Anonymous said...

kamal anjelo: I appreciate what you have done. Honestly, it will all change in 2 decades. I am sure your kid will enjoy a better India and at least in future people will be able to use Right For Information act to know why the birth certificate was delayed. May be you can file that even today, just to know why it took so long for them to send you one.

Ram said...

Pr,
I am not sure how closely police in India are monitored. I think it still boils down to the individual and how ethical he is.
People can always find a way around the system.