Friday, December 1, 2006

Indian Ads!

One thing that I really liked after I came to US is the nutritional value label in all the consumer products. I was totally naive about nutrition and recommendations till I came here.

That’s when I wished we had the same thing back home. It really pains me to see some Indian ads where they make atrocious claims about their product. As an example I have seen some ads where they claim that their oil is really good for health. There is another ad where they claim that their oil can be used multiple times for heating since it doesn’t leave much residue like their competitor. People really do believe in those ads and I have seen my mother make a claim that she has switched to a particular kind of oil because it is good for you. No wonder we have a high rate of heart disease.

I hope things change and we begin to see nutrition values in Indian products. I am big believer of the fact that we should eat everything in moderation. These labels really help us keep track of what we get daily and what we don't. Now with western values slowly seeping into Indian culture, this is something we can really use.

3 comments:

Venki said...

Very good point. Ignorant about health is one reason but people in India have so much stress and most of their time goes in doing mundane chores. Health does not come up as a priority for them.
In my recent trip to India, I did see lots of packaged products that had nutritional information labeled on them. I also saw lot of health centers, fresh fruit juice stalls....Ofcourse, they were only in considerably posh localities like Adyar, Anna Nagar etc.
When I was in India, I ate lot of food ( purely junk and oily food).
When I came back to US, I was suprised to hear people saying that I have lost weight. That could be because of all the walking you get to do there.

PR said...

I know.. those commercials make it seem as though you become healthy eating puris, vadas etc I hope they become more honest especially considering their audience.

I did hear about nutrional labels and introduction of low fat/skim milk etc.. but wonder how much truth there is to those labels..

Anonymous said...

I believe in this day and age it is important to know what food in general is good and what is bad. It is not practical to say avoid all bad food and you will lead a healthy life. It is surely a necessity to know information like how many grams of fat a tbsp of oil has? or how many grams of protein half cup of dhal has? to make an intelligent choice of what to eat. Nutrition Labels provide that to our convenience in the US and like 'pr' has pointed out it is trust worthy. I hope it happens in India because it will lead to people choosing smart options. I hear India's diabetes rate is soaring. Obesity is starting to become an issue. Now would be a good time to make such labels and publish true information.