Monday, December 18, 2006

Lost

Have you wondered how many friends you have had through out your time in life? I was wondering about it. It’s just amazing how many have just come and gone throughout my life. I am partially to blame because of the fact that I am not very good in keeping touch with them. But it’s just amazing the number of faces that come to my mind when I think of it.

I think most of the friends we have are what I call 'impermanent' friends (for a lack of a better word). They are with you during a particular phase of life – School, College, work etc… But once you move on, you lose the commonality you had with them. Once you are physically far away from them, the loss of commonality and the distance makes the friendship go dead. In fact even if you call to talk with them, you’ll be amazed to find out that there are no similar topics for you to talk about. So eventually as times moves on such friendships die.

There are some I would like to call ‘thick’ friends. I think you all know what I mean by ‘thick’ friends.

Now looking back, I wish that I still had contact with some of those 'impermanent' friends.

2 comments:

PR said...

Yes there are so many in my life too. Unfortunately it is hard for us to track them because of the lack of first name, last name structure in India. Like it is hard for me to track R.Akila or C.Deepa.

But for those whom I have been in touch with, I rarely find time to talk and honestly don't miss talking to them as I used to..

Anonymous said...

I feel bad about it also but I agree with pr's comments that I do not miss it.
I'm trying now to maintain a friendship circle. Go out for lunches with friends and try to keep in touch by email.
With hectic schedules at home and tight deadlines to meet at work, there are times when I can not get enough time to spend with my family. When I get the time, I would love to be surrounded by my husband's and my child's company. So, I will just blame it on the 'relaxed' time I have to spare.