Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Spam

I had this junk/spam email in my mailbox today which said that good things would happen to me if I forward this to 20 more of my friends and bad things would happen if I don’t. It even quoted an examples of what happened to someone who forwarded and what happened to someone who didn’t. I am sure many must have come across this kind of spam email.

What really surprises me is that people really fall for this emotional blackmail. Somehow people are afraid that it could be true and don’t want to take chances. I have also forwarded such emails out of fear. But I don’t do it anymore.

I am not sure what motivates people to create such emails? I know most of them are not virus attachments. I guess some people get happiness playing with others emotions.

3 comments:

R Kamal said...

i think they do this,bcoz through that they can collct e-mail ids of people,then sell it.otherwise i dont see any point.i always delete it or send it back to the sender again :)

PR said...

I agree.. They want the email IDs. Normally people land up forwarding without deleting the previous forwards.

Another annoying spam I have come across is an email from Africa that claims someone (mostly with out last name) has left us a fortune and all we need to do is give our bank account number. They showed a special on TV where they tracked down these people. The hard part is there are people out there who believe they really inherited a fortune... Probably same kind that believe they won a free iPod by identifying President Bush as the current president!

Ram said...

Thanks. I did not know that it was a way to collect e-mail ids of people.