Monday, January 29, 2007

Shyness and Arrogance

One bad thing about being shy is that it could be mistaken for arrogance. This will especially be true if you are very successful and better than the person judging you. I remember the interview of one of the Indian cricket player who suddenly shot to fame in the last couple of years – Dhoni. In one of his interview he remarked that he is a very shy individual and now that he is very successful, if he still remains shy and stays away from people, he is being considered arrogant and strong headed.

This happens to me very often (Even though I am not even close to being popular as Dhoni!). I am a kind of person who doesn’t voluntarily go and talk to others. It requires a few meetings for me to get comfortable and talk to them. So people sometimes had mistaken my shyness for arrogance. Sometimes when I don’t call somebody and talk to some relatives of mine back in India, they think that I am very arrogant and strong headed.

I guess this is something where I should strive to strike a balance. What do you think?

6 comments:

Pakku said...

On the contrary, its not also that if you go and talk to them on the first go, you will strike a chord :-)

me thinks its totally an individuals' perception..

Unknown said...

Oh i'm like u and i can understand u fully. i can never talk to a person whom i'm not friendly with or i'm new to. Now u would ask me how i can be friendly with a person if i dont talk to him. Well its a chemistry u know, i can talk to a person if i feel he is of my type. and i have friends only of my types.

Mammootty is a malayalam actor who is supposed to be arrogant and someone who is not friendly with people. Once when asked about this he said that he just cant talk to strangers and thats not coz he was arrogant.

Anonymous said...

My friends who are not shy get complaints about not calling and talking to relatives. I think that is a normal complaint by relatives. Nobody knows what frequency will please such relatives. If after all these years your relatives or friends have not understood you, then I would think that they are not putting any effort to understand you. Even if you were to change your personality, I wonder if they would appreciate you. So, why go through it.
Be yourself. No matter how hard we try some people we remain the same.

Anonymous said...

Well, I have known you for a while and I feel you are perfect the way you are.

I never felt that way frankly.

-Pramod
http://pramodrane.wordpress.com/

Not Shy Now said...

You are right. Shy people can be misunderstood. Non shy people may feel uncomfortable around shy people. That is because non shy people mistake shyness for stand offish, reserve or arrogance.
htttp://goodbyeshyness.blogspot.com

Ram said...

Thanks Pramod. I'll check out your blog.