Thursday, January 4, 2007

Indian TV and Movie Rating

One thing that amazes me is the fact that ‘rating’ is not enforced in Indian movies or TV’s. Almost all of the films that come out are either violent or has sexually explicit materials in it. I want to show my 2 year old my regional channel from India just for him to get a hang of my mother tongue. This is almost impossible now considering the fact violence and sex just dominates our TV’s.

Even the regional and national news on TV shows disturbing videos containing ‘blood’ and massacre. I cannot forget the video they showed once in sun news of a terrorist beheading an American. It still haunts me.

Is it really that hard for our technologically developed country to enforce some moral and ethical decency on TV? Or is it because only Sex and violence sells in our country?

I am not going to totally blame the media because media only works on fulfilling peoples taste and wishes. We cannot call ourselves cultured if the entertainment, media and people have such a poor taste. In fact I am very embarrassed to show our TV to any foreigner that visits my house. I just hope that things change in the future.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good post.