Thursday, January 25, 2007

Oatmeal month

Even though January is almost over, I just came to know that this month is celebrated as the ‘Oatmeal month’. I am an avid lover of oatmeal and I eat it at least 300/365 days every year. I have had this practice for almost 4-5 years now ever since the doctor told me that my cholesterol is nearing 200. My cholesterol is way down now and I attribute it partly to oatmeal. I know it’s tasteless. But you can add any fruit to it to it and it seems to go well with it. I usually eat it with raisins.

It’s a food high in fiber, minerals and low in sodium. Just read this link for all nutritional info about oatmeal. You'll be amazed.

http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=54

Have a good ‘Oatmeal Month’.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew 'oatmeat is good for you' but did not know it is THAT good. I'm impressed.

Anonymous said...

'oatmeat', I meant oatmeal. He..he..he..

Anonymous said...

I am amazed and impressed by this info too. Thanks RB. I am going to try to include it my diet too.

As for cprchild's 'Oatmeat' comment - I wonder if that could end up being a Freudian slip? Are there Oatmeat products out there that are similar to vegetarian hot dogs or vege burgers which are Tofu\Vege based?

If there is such a thing, that would also give us opportunities to make sandwiches etc. with it that children can also eat and get the awesome benefits of Oatmeal!

PR said...

Yes, it is amazing. My father in law has been having oatmeal for breakfast for past 30 years and has almost maintained the same weight! I don't find enough time to make in the morning, so I buy the 'Oatmeal to go' bars. Quaker claims it has exact nutrients as a bowl of oatmeal but I am not sure.

SK, my sister makes Oatmeal Upma. Not sure if it would interest the kids but it sure does interest me. And I know a family that eat oats instead of rice with their south-indian foods.. Meat subsititures? I haven't heard one with oatmeal yet..

I wish oatmeal cookies had same benefits..

Anonymous said...

Good idea SK! Now I don't feel so bad about my typo.