Friday, January 26, 2007

Serving Size

As most people here in US know the serving size/portion here for food is huge. What we call ‘large’ in India is probably ‘small’ here. I remember when I first came here to US, I asked for a small coffee in Starbucks. They gave what looked like a large to me and I asked them to give me a small! I was so used to drinking coffee in that small silver glass back in India that a ‘small’ Starbucks coffee looked monstrous to me.Of course now I am used to it. But it initially was a surprise for me.

Another thing I have noticed is that kids growing here seem to have an enormous appetite compared to this growing in India. I guess it’s because of the fact that they are so used this norm of eating everything in large portions right from their young age.

This obviously contributes to obesity here. So unless we watch our portion size we’ll also end up becoming obese.

No comments: