Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Date of Expiry

Why is that none of the Indian products I buy here in US having a proper expiry date? It has a date on it. But for some reason I am not sure whether it is credible.

I have never cared about the expiry date of the product till I came here to US. It’s probably because I wasn’t buying groceries in India. My parents used to. So because of this expiry date factor,I am always very hesitant to buy any Indian snacks from the store. I buy dry groceries and vegetables, but always hesitant to buy snack products.

One more reason for this is bad enforcement by the Desi store keepers here (although it is much better than how it was a few years back.). I have had some bad experiences with some desi store keepers selling expired products to me and not even repenting the fact that they are doing it.

Do any of you feel the same way / had same kind of experiences?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is even more of a concern when we are thinking about letting children try it. Children born and brought up here are less tolerant to expired food items. Even though we get a variety of snacks, me too am reluctant to buy. I believe in India such snacks are fast moving since there is more demand for it. Here I wonder how fast such snack items move and how long they could sit in the shelves.

Anonymous said...

All the time. Even if the date is on the product it is not clear if it manufactured date or date the product will expire.

By the way Ram. Nice blog. I will be coming here often.
good job.

Su gave me the link.

Ram said...

Thanks Pramod.