Sunday, January 7, 2007

Indians and Cholesterol – Heart Risk Part 1

One thing I have noticed that is common to most Indian men is ‘High Cholesterol’. I am just 31 and I have talked with many of my age and almost everybody I have talked to seems to have high cholesterol even at this age.

It has been determined that Indians have the highest rates of heart disease in the world, despite coming from a culture that shuns smoking, encourages a vegetarian diet and lacks many of the other classic risk factors for the disease. Also a research has discovered one gene is responsible for part of the increased risk in heart disease rates in Indians.

Adding fuel to fire is the western greasy foods that are getting into Indian culture. Another factor is the affluence of the Indian people that is growing day by day. With affluence grows comfort and with comfort comes laziness. If you are like me (an NRI), you are enjoying epitome of comfort and has to be more careful than an average Indian in India.

So it’s time for Indian men to take their heart seriously. Also it’s better to have your cholesterol levels checked every year after the age of 30 (People usually say 40. But for Indians I think it should be 30. I am not a doctor. I am just typing this from all the observations I have made over a period of time).

No comments: