Monday, November 20, 2006

Sports!

One thing i notice a lot when the people talk about their kids here in the US is their emphasis on sports. People here seem to be very proud when their kid becomes a sports star. On the other hand a kid who shines in academics is deemed 'Uncool' and labelled a 'geek'. That pretty much is the culture here. I don't understand why? There is a very small probability for a kid to become a professional sports star. There is a much higher probability for 'geeks' to become very successful later in life. Can't the parents just do an introspection of their own life and see what has taken them this far- Sports or academics?

I am not saying that people should totally shun sports. If he/she really has true potential, go ahead and encourage by all means. For a mediocre performer, I think academics is the way to go.

What do you think?

1 comment:

PR said...

True.. afterall the world's richest man is a pure geek!

I wonder how much of it is because of the education system here. As you mentioned on your post on education, the flexibility this country offers makes it easy for someone to continue their education later. This is both good and bad..

In India however, it is almost impossible to join college after certain age.. because of that everyone knows the importance of education and wants to be a 'geek'. I am proud of that as it has helped me be who I am and it has helped my contry a lot.. But at the same time feel bad when I see 10 people representing India in olympics out of a population of more than a billion...