Thursday, November 30, 2006

Interpretation

There are quite a few differences in the way Indians interpret some English words/phrases and how Americans interpret it. Here are few differences that i have observed

Dress - in US this word is strictly used for 'formal' attire. In India it is used for both formal and casual attire

Pretty good - in US this means 'not exceptional'. In India it is used sometimes to mean that it 'VERY' good.

Bath - in US this mean actual bath in a tub. In India it is used for both bath and shower.

Affair - in US Having a relationship with your wife not knowing it In India general relationship
between a boy and girl before marriage

Freak out - Scared in America, Having fun in India

Scooter – This is what kids ride in America. This is what adults ride in India

Bike - For Cycle in America, is for a motorized two wheeler in India

Gang- 'group of thugs' in US, generally refers to a 'group' in India.

I am sure there are lots more. Just type it in if you can think of others.

Funny incident -

When I went to give my marriage invitation to one of my American friend, he asked me how I and my wife met and how I knew her?
I replied to him 'We met in India and have been having an affair for almost 3 years'. He gave me a weird look. I think he realized what I meant. But looking back it sure was funny.

10 comments:

PR said...

Thats funny.. You covered the usual ones :-) I can point some too..

Doubt - In US means to question one's thoughts/opinion etc.. mostly in a 'I don't believe so' kind of way.. In India it means a question.. You ask doubts to professors mostly because you didn't understand..

Cousin - includes both boy and girl in US; in India it is emphasized as cousin sister or cousin brother.

Soda - In US includes any soft drink such as coke, pepsi etc, in India it refers only to carbonated water

Cup - This is my favorite as my 6 year old nephew explained this to me.. Cup is more like glass in US like a cup of water, in india it also means a small bowl.

Bill/check - When you go to restaurants in US you get the check and pay by bills whereas it is opposite in India


In pronounciations, food is pronounced like foood in US, it is pronounced more like foot in India. Pizza is pronounced like Peetsa in US and pissa in India (I hear the latter is the right pronounciation!). I must add that in India Pizza is served with tomato ketch-up. You dip each slice in ketch-up and eat.. Also american 'V' pronounciation is like Indian 'W' pronounciation vis a vis with W.. For eg, Weather in India is pronouced more like veather in US.

PR said...

Just looking at your post again.. I always wondered if "Marriage invitation" was correct. Isn't it wedding invitation? I mean, wedding is the that specific day and marriage is the whole married life isn't it. In one way it sounds right but in other ways it is more like birth invitation instead of birthday invitation..

Correct me if I am wrong..

Ram said...

I am not sure. I think you are right. I'll check.

Anonymous said...

Interesting observations.. There are differences in gestures too. It was confusing for me when I came to US for the first time, when people here nod their head from side to side saying aha meaning "yes"!). And also people here use too many bodily and facial gestures while speaking which we never do.. I noticed that in my husband when I met him for the first time. I wondered then why he was doing that..

Anonymous said...

Restaurant/Hotel anyone?

Anonymous said...

I also have observed differences in many other things.

Interestingly, when I was chauffeured around in UK, I noticed when drivers flash their head light, they mean -- "You first", i.e. being polite and giving way.

But in India it is the opposite... flashing headlight means -- "I don't care where/how you want to go, I am first", very dangerous.

PR said...

On the other hand.. honking is impolite and very rarely used in US while it is so common in India..

Oh.. restaurant/hotel, that still gets me..

Anonymous said...

"Make way to noddy"

Yea honking is just annoying...

This evening I was on my way to the cash machine, accompanied by the motor bike guy, who was constantly honking in that quiet rural road. My bike cursed him "ding ding" (a four letter word) using the bell as I pedaled along. I wonder whether he was alerting the ghosts in otherwise an empty road.

Anonymous said...

One thing that is quite different is when people in US say" I don't want nothing", ... doesn't two negatives make a positive.
In India people would normally say "I don't want anything".

Anonymous said...

I "don't care" to comment on this topic! Guess how that is interpreted differently in the US and India? :-)