Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Education in US

For a guy who grew up in a developing country, education was my highest priority during my teens. In fact in most developing countries if you don't do well in your high school, your future is pretty much bleak. You have to work hard and earn good grades in high school. There is no other option.

After coming here to US, I was amazed with the number of different options available to each and every kid. It's up to the kids and their parents to choose the right way. Of course you still need to work hard (or have a lot of money!) if you want to get into Ivy League schools. But for an average student, there are still lots of avenues.

Even in spite of all these opportunities there are many who don't make it to college. That's sad.

But here in the US you can still make amends and go to college even if you realize it much later in life. Sadly there are very few such options back home.

Isn't that great about America?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I beg to differ. I was fortunate to have a really really really bad education. That made me realise that it is not the end of the world.