Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Early Days!

I was born in one of the south Indian cities. We were a lower middle class family at that time.My father worked really hard to make ends meet.
Here are some things I remember in my first 4-5 years of my life.

I remember living in a one room house till i was 4 or 5.

The room used to have a table fan, a stove to cook, a radio and mat to sleep. Pretty much that's it.I used to sleep in a swing like thingy made from a saree (Traditional Indian woman's attire).

I remember being very scared of the stove. Whenever my mom tried to light it up, i remember getting scared. In fact even now I am scared. Those kerosene stoves are very unsafe. Another thing I used to be scared of is the pressure cooker.

There used to be 4 or 5 families living close by in the same community. I remember that we all shared the same restroom (Gross!)

My house was near a temple.

I remember a woman committing suicide in the house opposite to us.

Funny incident - I know that after that suicide happened all the families were scared to go to the restroom when it was dark. They all thought that the ghost of the woman who committed suicide is going around. In fact some of them even claimed that they saw the ghost walking around. So because of that I used to be very scared when it got dark.

My best friend who was the same age as me used to go out early in the morning with his father. I remember coming out everyday to say 'hi' to him.

My father used to get me a candy everyday after work. I always wished that he would get me a 'cadbury eclairs' candy. So I used to eagerly wait for his arrival.

My mom loves music and i remember that she turns on the radio every day in the morning and night and sing along with it. I guess that's what got me interested in music.

When i first started school, i remember coming out of the classroom and crying and waving goodbye to my parents.

I also used to get excited whenever I see my parents in the evening. We could clearly see the school entrance from my class room. When my mom comes to pick me up, she used to stand outside till the school is over. I always used to wonder why she doesn’t just come in and pick me up.

My grand father used to take me to a railway track to show me a train. I think there was just one train which used to cross that way everyday and it was made sure that i see that train.

I remember that whenever my parents didn't buy me something I wanted, I used to just lie down on the road and refused to get up.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to just lie down on the road and refused to get up.

made me laugh.

Was that in Ambattur?

Ram said...

Yes in Ambattur.
I used live in the first house opposite to the 'guruvayurappan' temple in krishnapuram.

I did most of my schooling in Ambattur.

Anonymous said...

Cool, school where?
Me a Ramaswamy rowdy.

Ram said...

TI

Anonymous said...

Lets have a war.

Tidbit: Google earth has amazing clarity of Ambattur. You can spot your school easily.