Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Faces and Tacos

I was standing in line at Qdoba's Mexican grill for 20 minutes (Boy I must really like them!). I just happened to look at many different faces standing in line in front of me. How many different ethnicities? This country really is very diverse.

It got me thinking. I have thought about this a lot of times before. How come people from different regions have unique facial identity? I can identify an Indian/Chinese Japanese etc. just by looking at their faces. What gives them that unique facial structure?

Is it influenced by the language we speak (activating various group of facial muscles often depending on the language)? Of course genetics does play a huge part. Then it got me thinking.
But I can most likely differentiate between an Indian who is brought up here in US and an Indian who grew up in India just by their looking at their face. So I do think that language we speak does play a good role in establishing a facial structure.

Excuse me if you think this post is a real waste of your time. I didn’t know what else to think when I standing in a queue for that long. It wasn’t a waste of time for me as I ended up eating a real spicy taco salad after 20 minutes of wait.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now, where can I get back my spent minutes?

Anonymous said...

That is a thinker! I can never guess the roots (from a Indian state aspect) of an Indian born in the US. However I can easily figure out what part of India a desi is from just by looking at him.