Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Yellow ribbon on a hummer!

I am sure you must have all seen mails floating around about the one day boycott of gas stations. Personally it doesn’t make sense to me. There are so many better ways to do this. Buy energy efficient vehicles, carpool if you can, don't overspeed, walk wherever you can etc. The best way would be to come up with an efficient alternative for gasoline.I am sure that the day is not very far when this would happen.

Today I saw a man driving a big gas guzzling hummer with a yellow ribbon on it in support of the troops. Seeing it I wasn’t sure what to think. He should realize that he is indirectly helping the hegemony regimes in the Middle East and ofcourse the big oil companies by driving that hummer. I guess he would look a little more patriotic if he put in on a hybrid rather than on a hummer.

P.S I am feeling guilty typing this. I own 2 SUV’s! But my next vehicle would deifinitely be a hybrid.

2 comments:

PR said...

Interesting correlation. May be the owner of the Hummer will defend it by saying the yellow ribbon on the hummer reminds everyone of what the real hummers are doing?! I get your point though.

Also, I find it harder to understand much of the stories surrounding the alternate sources of energy. I always liked when politicians talked about ethanol. But on 20/20 I noticed that ethanol hurts the environment than helping it. They said the amount of corn produced and the machinery used to make ethanol consume as much resources as what is produced.

Anyways, I am sure you will have a lot of homework to do before deciding on your new hybrid..

Ram said...

True. There is no true total alternative to gasoline yet. There are so many things on the table like ethanol, hydrogen etc. Atleast we have e-85 now. So hopefully there will be something soon the near future.

I'll buy hybrid when I get it for a good price. For now it's almost a $5000 premium to buy it. That's justified only after 5-6 years of driving the same vehicle. But I am sure prices will come down in the future.