Monday, May 7, 2007

Freedom to make my own decisions

It’s a well known fact that most Indians in America buy Japanese cars. Just go to any Indian party or gathering, you’ll know what I mean. Just the other day I was talking about this to my American friend and he remarked that it would be unimaginable for him to possess a foreign car. He said that his neighbors and friends would make fun of him if he owned a foreign car and there is no way that he can even think about buying a foreign car even if it is more reliable than the American counterparts. (FYI - I live in a conservative Republican city.)

That’s when I realized how I can make any decisions I want here, not minding about what my relatives or neighbors think about it. Being away from home does have its advantages.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

enjoy it while it lasts.. i.e. until your roots get deeper..

then you may start finding that some choices will be made for you by "society" especially when it comes to matters concerning your kids..

guyfromblore said...

american car loyalty seems to be particularly high in Michigan - probably because of the fact that the Big Three have deep roots there.

American folks in most other places dont seem to have such restrictions.

Ram said...

lalith,
You are right. This sentiment is high in MI.