Friday, May 11, 2007

I don’t work here!

Don’t go to a retail store wearing the same colored outfit as their official uniform. I went for shopping yesterday and since the store was being remodeled, I had to ask for help to locate various items. So I asked for help from one of them wearing the same exact outfit as the store employee not knowing that he is also out there like me shopping. The man was so upset and said that he did not work here. I could see that he was furious as soon as I asked the question. But it wasn’t my fault that he happened to wear an outfit that looked exactly like the store uniform. I simply apologized and walked away.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

in such situations you can get upset or laugh it off.

i guess a person of sound mind and body would laugh it off. what is the shame in any line of honest work even if someone is mistakenly identified as a worker that he is not?

Anonymous said...

Question here is not just about the clothes, I think, but it is human nature that we have these prebuilt judging list in our brain on how people look from their outward appearance. On the face of it we deny it, but within our sub-conscious mind we have it.

Ram said...

Pramod,
I agree to a degree with your comment. We are prejudiced sometimes.But my judgement was solely based on the uniform.

Like SK has said 'what is the shame in any line of honest work even if someone is mistakenly identified as a worker that he is not?'

Anonymous said...

Depends on the situation. You might be the fifth person to ask this question or he's having a bad day. Not saying that what he did was okay, but you're going to meet people like that. Best to just to shrug it off and move on.