Sunday, April 15, 2007

Always think Long Term

It’s always better to take decisions thinking about its long term implications rather than making it based on your current situation. I am sure most people must have encountered stressful situations at work or other places which may have made them think that they should just quit and move on.

The most important thing to do in such a situation is to control your anger and then think about the long term implications of it rather than making a decision in a fit of anger/stress. If you think about it, there is no guarantee that such situations will not arise in the other place we move out to. So we should always have this in mind before we make decisions.

I am not saying that you should ignore what’s happening around you. But make sensible moves to avert the current crisis especially if the long term perspective of what you have is good.

What do you think?

3 comments:

ironicallyGrace said...

I agree that it is good to look ahead. On the other hand I also find it extrememly important to live in the moment. Personally, I have longterm goals that I work toward everyday but at the same time I don't live every moment of my life in anticipation of reaching those goals. It is good to live in the present because the future is to unpredictable to rely on.

Anonymous said...

I don't agree with the "always" part of the title.

Sure, you need to keep the long term is perspective, but the "long term" is 100% dependent on short term decisions. In other words, long term is a sum of shorter terms. and if the short term decisions are bad, the long term results will be bad.

I believe in defining boundaries and firmly sticking to them. I don't hesitate in telling someone "no" in very strong terms, if necessary. But I do agree that you can stand your ground AND continue participating in the current situation for longer term benefit IF you believe that such long term benefit is likely.

Ram said...

Thanks Ironicallygrace and SK for sharing your views.

SK - True. 'Always' is not correct.