Thursday, June 14, 2007

We are expecting a second baby!

First the good news - We are expecting a second baby!

Now here is the part where I vent my frustrations.

There is this rather annoying tendency with some people in a way they reacted when I shared the news with them. Most people congratulated me when I shared the news with them and wished me luck with a broad smile on their faces. This is the kind of response you would expect.

Here are some annoying responses I got from people

‘Your life will totally change. Don’t think you can be like how you are right now’
‘Your stress level is going to shoot up like you cannot imagine’
‘You are not going to have any personal time.’
‘You are going to get more annoyed and frustrated’

In fact this is exactly the same kind of response I got from these same set of people when I told them that I was going to have my first baby.

Come on guys - I am sharing a good news with you. Shouldn't you all at least try to feign some happiness instead of responding like this?

The funny aspect of it is that most of these people already have 2 kids. So my question to such people is – ‘Is this what you feel about your second kid? – Annoyed and irritated’.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very Bold and honest post Ram.

I am saying Bold 'coz most the ppl you refereeing would come here and read your thought and would go hmm that’s us, he is talking about. But one can only take so much.

Congrats you Guys once again.

Anonymous said...

Congrats Ram.... wholeheartedly :-)

Anonymous said...

Cognitive dissonance

Ram said...

Thanks Pramod,Umesh and SK.

Pramod - Maybe people reading this post may not talk like that in future to others. You should thank for me doing this. I saved you from future annoyance.

SK - Cognitive dissonance -
It took quite a time for me to understand what that meant after reading about it in Wikipedia.
You are right - It is Cognitive dissonance.

Anonymous said...

right. and I think 99.99% of humans are prone to behave that way in different situations at different points in life.

it is basically a mental defense mechanism that the “lizard part” of the brain engages in when confronted with an unpleasant mental experience, such as anger, hurt or jealousy.

“sour grapes” is a more common term, but that is narrow in application.

but most of the time, for many of us, it's about less sensitive issues than a new baby, like maybe a new car someone else bought etc. and when it comes to important matters, the “evolved human part” of the brain should override the lizard behavior and act in a civilized manner.

which is why you were right to post this message – and yes, we should thank you for telling such people to put a sock in it because that contributes towards change in negative behavior that some people engage in.

Sree's Views said...

Hi..
just came here from Kamal's blog .

Very happy to hear the good news :)
Congrats :)
there wld be no greater joy than having a baby.
My mom always says the happiest moment of her life was when she had us :)

btw..in my personal experience there are some ppl who can make us feel depressed and kind of self-pity after we have spend some time with them. I have done some research and learnt that the best way to deal is either avoid them or if that is not possible just giving them back.

good luck :)

Ram said...

Thanks Sree.

Yes, I try to avoid as much as possibe. But I am not good in giving it back. It's not in my personality to talk like that.

That's probably one of the reason why I write this blog. I can vent out any frustration I have.