Monday, June 18, 2007

Socially Responsible Investing

There is always an uncomfortable feeling inside me whenever I think about investing in companies like Philip Morris, Diageo etc. These are all companies that make their earnings by selling tobacco, alcohol etc. I have wanted to buy those 2 company stocks for quite sometime now. But every time I wanted to pull the trigger, something stops me. I just feel bad that I have to make profit at the expense of other people’s health and life.So I have been avoiding it for quite sometime now. But every now and then when I see the stock price soar, I get this feeling as to whether I am being stupid to not buy it.

What do you think?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

some good advise given in the marketplace is "buy what you know and love".

almost every stock you buy has a company behind it that "supports" maybe indirectly, some evil somewhere.

Apple and Google look the other way when it comes to China's slave prison labor and suppression of free speech, Nike and others turn a blind eye to sweatshops in Indonesia - the list is never ending.

If you are trading - chase short term stock ups and downs (very carefully - you need to know what you are doing).

But if you are investing, look at stock buys as buying a piece of a business - which you know and love.

Ram said...

Thanks SK.
That makes meel feel better.