Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Characters

Lately I have been using ‘characters’ to scare my kid off to get things done during crunch situations (like getting to do some stuff when we are running out of time to go to work). Every time he refuses to do something, I say that the ‘cops’ are going to get him and he immediately agrees to do it. It’s been working pretty good so far.

Once in a while, I feel bad about doing it. But looking back, I was raised like that. I was scared of some fictitious character my parents used to come up with and they used it to get things done. But you eventually grow out of it. So I don’t think it’s a bad tactic. It definitely works in crunch situations.

Any advice / suggestions?

2 comments:

PR said...

To start with, I am not a mother yet so any suggestions I give may not be right. Just thought I would cite my experience anyway.

I used to scare my then 2-1/2 year old nephew that Cruella (the villain from 101 Dalmatians) would come if he doesn't do something right. He used to get scared and do whatever we ask him to do. But soon we noticed that he started to get scared of being alone or being in the dark. We felt bad later. In your case, you are using “cops” which is not as bad a character as “Cruella” but you may want to find out if it creates any other fears in him.

On a funny note, the character used on my immediate sister by our uncles used to be “renta kannan” (a person with two eyes!!) or “kannadi patti” (an old lady with glasses)!

Ram said...

Pr, Thanks.