Friday, June 22, 2007

FDA Approved?

I got this interesting/disturbing piece of news from NPR.

Did you know that 20% of the drugs prescribed by doctors are not approved by FDA for the treatment they are prescribed for? As an example, a doctor may prescribe a drug that is FDA approved for heart disease, but for an eye disease. They probably do it because it is a common practice among other doctors. The news anchor said that we should question the doctor every time they prescribe a drug to make sure that it is FDA approved for our specific medical condition.

My question to you is – How many of us are comfortable questioning a doctor about the drug they prescribe? We always assume that the doctor knows what he/she is doing and accept it as such. May be one thing we can do is Google it and make sure that it is FDA approved for our condition (i.e. if our condition is a simple one and we know the medical term for it). But I am not sure how practical this is. But this really was a shocking thing to know.

2 comments:

blj said...

It is like going to a restaurant and showing attitude to the waiter, which I would never do. You have to trust your physician no matter what.

Apologies for the following off topic comment:

I see that you use "Google" as a verb, but spelt with capitals. I would think it should be "google it" and not "Google it".

Ram said...

blj,
I actually type my stuff in MS word and the paste it here. For Some reason MS word forced me to type it in capitals.